TOWARDS GREATER UNDERSTANDING
enhancing knowledge & skills
Designed to help teachers:
• improve awareness & knowledge of reading comprehension
• improve on the questions they ask their students
• improve the specific teaching they do
ASPECTS OF THE WORKSHOP
• processes & behaviours related to reading success
• problems occurring with comprehension
• the purpose of the questions teachers ask
• assessment methods: multi-choice, cloze, recall, behavioural
• the quality of the questions teachers ask
• teaching practices:
- specific skills
- mental images
- personal reading
resources for improving comprehension skills and how they can help
students and teachers understand key elements of comprehension –
specifically the KEY Comprehension series:
• KEY into reorganisation
• KEY into inference
• KEY into evaluation
and the EXTEND Reading Tracker
Chris Parkin & Catherine Parkin
Chris & Catherine have been involved
in education for more than 40 years as teachers, advisers, assessors, writers and innovators.
They take a practical approach to developing & utilising processes that have positive outcomes for all learners regardless of age or circumstance.
They drive the development of these world-class literacy resources.
They are the 'architects' of PROBE2 and the KEY Comprehension series.
1 day: 6 - 7 hours
2 days: greater depth, more activity (can include PROBE2)