KEY into evaluation
Chris Parkin, Catherine Parkin, Brian Pool
© 2005 Triune Initiatives revised 2008
KEY comprehension series. 3rd of 3 separate resources
• Evaluation is complex inference - reaction requires evaluation
• Requires readers to reorganise information & make inferences
• Evaluation is in all forms of writing: basic readers to academic treatises
• Readers must unravel all text information before giving an opinion
A graded resource with an extensive range of original,
well-crafted material designed to:
• meet the needs of a wide range of students
• demonstrate (model) how evaluation & reaction works
• provide practise examples using fiction & non-fiction texts.
2. Guide & Answers
FOR USE BY
specialists and classroom teachers
FOR USE WITH
• 8 year olds to adults - wherever English is being read
• use with competent younger students who decode well
• use orally with older students whose decoding ages are low
Individual, groups (as part of a guided reading program)
1. Copymaster book (96 pages)
2. Guide & Answers book (44 pages)
Three graded levels in one resource:
Level One decoding levels 8 – 10 years
Level Two decoding levels 10 – 12 years
Level Three decoding levels 12 – 14 years
At each level, evaluation & reaction is introduced
in single paragraphs/short texts.
There are models at each level.
This is followed by practice material in the form of complete texts.
Level Three texts include:
history, geography, science, technology, news, sports news, biography, leisure reviews, comment, advertising, consumer information.
• Three graded levels in the one resource
• Photocopiable material
• 88 pages of sentences, paragraphs and texts
• Fiction and non-fiction material at every level
• Progressive developmental process
• Full answers to all questions
• Comprehensive, user-friendly guide
with instructions & extension activities
• Can be used with individuals, groups or whole classes
• Proved to be very successful with older students and adults
KEY words with all answers,
demonstrating how a competent reader would reorganise texts.
ADDITIONAL G&A BOOKS
Additional Guide & Answer books
are available to schools if a full kit has been purchased.
to private individuals, private education/tuition providers, itinerant or specialists.
SUITABLE FOR ...
• 8+ years - adults.
• Competent readers under 8+ yrs
• Poor decoders (when used orally)
Also in the key series
1 KEY into reorganisation
2 KEY into inference
3 KEY into evaluation
PROBE & THE KEY SERIES
The KEY comprehension series
is directly linked to PROBE question types of reorganisation, inference, evaluation & reaction